Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsBundaberg flood update: Boaties rescued, door-knocking begins and bridges to close soon

Bundaberg flood update: Boaties rescued, door-knocking begins and bridges to close soon

Door-knocking efforts have begun for around 180 residents as Bundaberg anticipates Wednesday’s 3am flood peak of a possible 7.6 metres to arrive through the city.

During a Disaster Management Group press conference on Tuesday morning Bundaberg Patrol Group Chief Inspector and Bundaberg District Disaster Management coordinator, Grant Marcus said modelling from the Bureau of Meteorology suggests high water levels could remain up to two days.

“Their modelling is suggesting it could be around a 36 to 48 hour period of time for the water to recede,” Insp. Marcus said.

“Experience has told us that often it is not that long. It can happen quicker, but this is a different type of rain event than we’ve had in the past.”

Chief Insp Marcus said the 2013 flooding event had tornadoes and a much higher level of rainfall, while the 2010 floods had high rainfall over certain tributaries that fell into the catchment.

“This one we’ve got a significant amount of rainfall over the whole of the catchment which has gone into small creeks and tributaries, which is still feeding into the Burnett River,” he said.

“A lot of that actually can’t be measured at the moment because we’re still waiting for it to actually enter into the river system.”

The Inspector said additional emergency service personal had been deployed to the area to assist, with a combined emergency coordination centre being set up on the northside.

With Paradise Dam at over 200 per cent capacity, concerns were raised regarding how the dam structure was holding up after being lowered.

“The information we are receiving from Sunwater is, there are no concerns around the actual dam itself,” the Inspector said.

“We know the dam wall was significantly lowered to a point where now it’s far more resilient and made safe.”

The township of Mundubbera was isolated this morning, with 20 homes evacuated, two homes with inundation (water over the floorboards) and with flood peaks still yet to flow down.

Bundaberg Mayor and chair of the Local Disaster Management Group, Helen Blackburn said Bundaberg’s bridges will close mid-afternoon for safety reasons.

“We encourage those people who are in low-lying areas to find their way to evacuation centres, or to go to friends or family on the south side,” Ms Blackburn said.

“If you are concerned and think you need assistance, then you can reach out.”

The Mayor said the Maritime Safety harbour master has closed the waterways along the Burnett River.

“So, there is a maritime warning out, and it’s a Code Red,” Ms Blackburn said.

“They are wanting no movement of any boats in the river.”

Chief Inspector Marcus said overnight Monday there were a number of boats that unfortunately were not removed from the river in time.

“We did have one particular issue last night in relation to one vessel that got into trouble as a result of a log hitting it,” he said.

“We’ve got big tree trunks coming down the river.

“We had the police go and rescue them during the night.

“The speed and velocity of the water is too risky now to go out there to remove boats.”

The management group had been in contact with major supermarkets and suppliers assuring the community there is no cause for concern over food and fuel shortages.

“I think if everyone just stays calm, we’ll be fine,” the Mayor assured.

More rain is forecast towards the end of this week.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

National Volunteer Week 2026: Your Year to Volunteer

This week is National Volunteer Week 2026, with this year’s theme: “Your Year to Volunteer.” And it is an invitation as well as a reminder....
More News

Renewable energy in focus

Queensland’s renewable energy transition, project pipeline, and growing supply chain opportunity will take centre stage at the next Connecting Industry Luncheon in Gladstone on...

Work to do to get back into the black

In the face of economic headwinds, the Gladstone Regional Council's 2025-26 budget was $15 million in the red for the third quarter of operations. The...

Claws rip up first carnival

The Capricorn Claws had an undefeated start to life in the HART Premier Netball League Ruby North Division for a second straight year. The...

A beer without peer

Gladstone's Ward's Brewery has gone global, taking out Best International-Style Pale Ale at Melbourne's 2026 Australian International Beer Awards. Owner Michael Comley said tasting success...

Community events

Weekly events Have a Yarn Tuesday - QCWA Tannum Sands - every Tuesday All welcome to bring your craft, a friend and a smile. Time: 9am to...

Gladstone Police Wrap

IS THIS SAFE YOURS? Police are seeking the rightful owner of a safe discovered at Boyne Plaza on Saturday, 17 May. Anyone who believes the safe...

News in Brief

State Govt sues for $66 million The State Government's legal action to recover funds paid to mining giant Fortescue for its failed Gladstone hydrogen project...

Free mental health training

Community members across the Gladstone region are being invited to step up and gain life-changing skills, with free Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) training...

GEA welcomes new CEO

Gladstone Engineering Alliance is pleased to announce the appointment of Patrick Hastings as Chief Executive Officer, commencing Monday 18 May. GEA Board President Rob Williamson...

Empowered to fight DV

Regional organisations came together at Empower 2026 last week, united in the fight against domestic and family violence (DFV). The two-day conference was held at...